Wednesday, October 27, 2010

SH072 - Darkness of Christ
















video: Piano
music: Nokturnal Mortum - "Barbarian Dreams"
link: depositfiles [29 MB]
editor: Dazzle MovieStar
production date: March 2003

This was done partly as a demo for Anime Boston '03 (I was, for the first and last time, on a panel, despite having very little to contribute) to show what could be done with some relatively simple effects design, but mostly because it could be turned around very quickly from weird idea into weird final video. The title is a Slayer reference that has absolutely nothing to do with the video beyond the source being colorized to dark purple on the pre end.

What I really should have done, for demo purposes, was to make the video, tracking the cuts, then go back and recut the source without the colorization, lay the same cuts in in the same order, and side-by-side the video streams to show how badly this would have come out without the effects in pre. Of course, I didn't, because I wasn't thinking as deeply about production processes at that point as I do now -- but that's not an excuse, because I had the example of SH020 right in my fucking catalog even at the time. I should have used that video if I wanted to say something about making edit decisions based on the color palette, but I didn't think of it, and the dislocation of doing something in a non-natural film color (SH023 and SH045 are grayscaled, and SH060 is sepiatoned, which are at least approximations of film behavior) was too strong a hook to ignore at the time. So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment