Tuesday, October 12, 2010

SH057 - Bijected Cosmic Face













video: Cowboy Bebop - Knockin' On Heaven's Door
music: Death - "Secret Face" and "Cosmic Sea" (remixed samples)
link: depositfiles [24.5 MB]
editor: Dazzle MovieStar
production date: October 2002

This is the kind of video that you make not just as an AMVer with a lot of disposable time, but as an AMVer with a lot of disposable time who also happens to be a musician. I wrote a lot when I was starting out about being just a "bass player with a capture card", but that musical training was not used for a whole lot outside of this video.

If I don't know what an arpeggio is, I don't have enough material to make this video. It's that simple. Without that knowledge, I can cut the cool solo sections from both of the songs listed, but I don't have enough information to realize that the composed sample can be reversed and added on at the end of itself while still sounding cool. Some progressions work one way and not another; arpeggios are inherently reversible, which is what makes the backwards-recorded section in the second half of the video work.

Even if you don't like the images or the composition in the video track, this is still one to pick up. Chuck and Steve's solo work as isolated here is fucking classic, and I ended up preserving a lot more of the original tone through the HQ build and later remaster than I (with my shitty speakers of the time) thought I had -- and that's before the largely-unexpected coolness of the reversed part comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment