Saturday, September 19, 2009

INSO04 - nice video with a nice song
















video: Night of the Living Dead
audio: Ben Jelen - "Christine"
link: depositfiles [45.2 MB]
editor: Magix 2.0+ deLuxe
production date: January 2005

This was done partly to work out my new editing environment and get more used to ripping and processing DVDs, and partly as a practical joke on the .org forums, because I like messing with people. Putting the picture and the standard source block in gives it away, but the video holds up on its own beyond that, which is useful.


And now, a blast from the past, as promised in the end titles:

THE WHOLE SORDID STORY

I found this CD early in 2004 while at U-M working on my MSCS (since abandoned for industry). I was in one of the Media Union labs, and I had to upload some stuff I had written -- I forget whether it was some code for an assignment, or just some doc I had to print -- from CD onto the workstation there. Well, there was already a CD in the machine. I took it out, moved my stuff off the ferry disc, and then threw it back in to listen to while I worked on other stuff. It looked like it would suck, but I have eclectic tastes in music and am willing to give nearly anything a fair shot.

Yes, it sucked. But it wasn't earbreakingly bad like, say, Maniac Mattox. So I let it play and eventually it got to track 4, "Christine". As soon as I heard "taste of Christine" come up the first time, I immediately thought of Night of the Living Dead, partly because I had just watched it recently and partly because I hated the song and like to make fun of shit. The image of this song playing while some girl is ripped apart and devoured by zombies still cracks me up, but maybe that's just because I worship the devil.

So, I did what I had to. I took the CD home, ripped the track, and brought it back the next day. It was gone later, so maybe the person who left it there got it back, or maybe someone else stole it for real. And the music sat and sat on my harddrive until I got spare time and a working DVD drive. When I finally got one, I decided to do this as a tuneup for my editing suite, and really realized just how MUCH of the movie can be applied literally to this song -- ofcourse for completely comic effect.

The idea of this video just continues to crack me up. I'm glad I was able to make it and give a purpose to the TRL idiot who wrote the music in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment